Page orientation - CSS3 Orientation

Developer
May 22, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I've been testing the skin on an Ipad 2 and a Samsung Slate 7 (1366x768) running windows 8 Consumer preview + IE10. On of the first things I've found is rotating the screen on these new form factors will require using the HTML 5 CSS3 Orientation media elements to size the content appropriately.

http://blog.varadesigns.com/how-to-use-css3-orientation-media-queries/

Darn mobile, tablet, slate devices! 

I notice that the current implementation isn't HTML5 specific and was wondering how DNN and skin providers were going to address this technology transformation issue as the size and orientation of the people viewing web pages becomes even more fragmented.

Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Since DNN 6.1.5 DotNetNuke had a mobile api also implemented into the community version.  Also a device dedection is intereated.  But it is not an automated detection if it is a computer or mobile device availible jet. 

So I would work to add mobile skins yet, so with the mobile redirection feature you could then select between standard and mobile view. 

Mobile pages will be then pages with own design and own content.  So it is posible the content of standard and mobile pages are different, about some modules have its own non mobile compatible design.  This modules could then deleted from the mobile pages.

I want to make all mobile skins as a one coloumn page, with a menu that opens on click and looks in Metro design.

I will try to make this on HTML 5 standards, but they are very new to me yet.  Any help are welcome!

Coordinator
May 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Edited May 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

The problem at time is that not all modules are HTML 5 conform, and I see here the bigest problem.  As you can see the 3D Tag Cloud on my site supports also HTML5 styles and I activated thies now, so the Tag Cloud now should worked fine on mobile devices.  At time I have not much iedeas how we could handle this without sperate mobile pages and Skins.

Also older Browser didn't support HTML 5, and many clients still using older browsers.  So wie must be compatible with our pages with HTML5 and non HTML 5 standards.

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM

On making enhancements to reflect the new social features on DNN 6.2 I found out, that the skin isn't coded completely on actuelly best practice.  So still tables are used, and I think for the 6.3 Version of this skin I will try to rewrite it and will look how I could following the CSS3 and HTML5 guidlines.