Allow users to configure site narrow, medium or full width for Metro Skin.

Developer
Mar 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

One of the things I love about the default Dnn skins is the option for users to select narrow, medium and full width layouts for a web site.  I'm of the opinion that this choice is very good. On my big development 24" wide screen monitors 1900x1200 I can get most web page content into one screen an not have to constantly scroll around (ergonomic, less CPU/Power use).

The current 2nd March 2012 (6.1.0) edition of the skin does the following :-

1. when I'm reading on a tablet in landscape mode (ipad 2) it fits the current width exceptionally well:) Very impressed, thanks!!! (I would define this as the narrowest edition)
  2. when I bring it up on my 1900x1200 monitor it looks like about 50% of the screen real-estate is used and there is lots of space not used, which I personally dislike on web sites.
  3. I haven't tested this on WP7 at this stage, but I'm going to assume it works well.

Are others interested in multiple width options for the users?  One of the biggest complaints I've heard for Metro applications, current on display in the Windows 8 consumer preview, centres around not using all the screen real estate on offer to users in different configurations (larger than phone/tablet resolutions) and I agree, users should have some personal choice, while still following the layout typography approach the Metro Style guide is trying to direct software designers.

Coordinator
Mar 5, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Edited Mar 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Initial joice of this project was to fix issues of the original Skin that was made by Ali Nawaz for DNN5, so it works correctly on DNN6.  This we have done. 

At time the skin is only supports WP7, I know that the view on Android and other mobile devices could also be worked well, but is not tested.

Personaly I think to integreate the DNN 6 mobile api in a later version, for a better mobile view.  Also we can look for a 2nd full width skin for all 4 colors, or a full width page for a later version.  But at time I didn't want add different width that could be select over the page.  I think the Metro7 style needs enough place on the header.

Enhancement request could be added to the issue tracker.

Developer
Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Added an enhancement in the issue tracker for this request, to allow others to vote.